Is Online Learning for Everyone?
The school year 2020 has definitely had it's challenges. With a global pandemic hanging in the air, literally, school communities all over the world have been forced to reimagine what learning will be like. For those teachers who have had experience with online tools and blended learning styles, the shift to virtual teaching was probably not too difficult. After all, knowing the tools of your trade is half the battle. But for most teachers, learning the tools of the trade, along with trying to align a curriculum which must now completely be taught in a virtual setting, this felt like a heavy weight.
However, those of us who are teachers are used to having to be flexible. It is part of why we probably enjoy teaching. It was not long before we hunkered down, learned how to use Zoom, Google Meet, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra, Canvas, Schoology, and the rest. We did it because we love our jobs and we wanted to find a way to reach our students. As teachers and teacher leaders, we helped each other through social media groups, professional development courses, and even watching tutorials on YouTube. We did it!! What we might have also guessed as well is that not every student is able to learn online. When I think back on how overwhelmed I felt, as an educated, experienced in teaching adult with some technology tools under my belt, I can only imagine what many students must feel right now as they return to class in the Fall.
We all have been pushed out of our comfort zone to embrace a new style of learning. With some relationship building and patience, a positive attitude, and determination, we can make online learning easier and better for all stakeholders. It will take time, but it will happen. The link below has some wonderful resources for teachers. Check it out. Online Strategies for Teachers- Edutopia

I love the first line stated in this video---online teaching is STILL teaching! I have found that the strategies I learned and practiced in my online practice enhance my face to face practice when I use them there!
ReplyDeleteWhat also stood out for me was the importance of developing a sense of belonging and community. It takes me back to the Community Participation course in DDLS. Students need to understand what belonging and community are....you cannot just 'develop' it; they have to know what they are doing is belonging to and participating in a community. More often, we do not make this explicit. The other point I think is really important is to find ways to for students to be independent. I wish they would have added "and responsible for their learning." I know that for your students, this is really important whether they are online or in-person. You are likely working hard to capture those elements that you have done in the past to foster independence and translating those to work in an online environment.